India's plans to develop andaman as Major Military Base
To counter the growing Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean, the Indian government has planned to turn the Andaman and Nicobar islands into a formidable military cantonment replete with Indian air force and navy bases.
As per a meticulous master-plan, also in possession of Headlines Today, the proposed tri-service Andaman & Nicobar command will be put into action by the end of 2009.
If everything goes by plan, these paradise islands could be India's most formidable military outpost in a decade. By 2020, the magnificent coral islands will see:
- A nuclear submarine base in south Andaman
- A permanent Sukhoi-30 base at Car Nicobar
- A permanent tactical aerial recon base at Campbell Bay
- A permanent aircraft carrier base
- Expansion of INS Kardip advance naval base in Nicobar
A dedicated 250MW nuclear power station on the islands is also proposed to come up on the islands. The facility will feed the enormous power requirements that the ambitious island militarisation programme will ultimately demand